California R-1/R-2 Visa Attorney

Exclusively representing religious organizations nationwide

Davis Legal Center is committed to representing religious workers from all over the world who need help navigating the complex and ever-changing landscape of U.S. immigration law to fulfill their faith's mission. Churches of all denominations can petition for eligible ministers, religious workers, and their families for temporary R-1 and R-2 nonimmigrant visas to enter the United States for up to five years. 

How Do I Qualify for an R-1/R-2 Visa?

To qualify for the R-1 visa, applicants must have been a member of the petitioning church’s denomination for the previous two years and be coming to work at least 20 hours a week as a minister, as part of a religious order, or in a traditional religious function. The employing church will start this process by filing Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Religious Worker, with USCIS. Religious workers who are outside of the United States will also need to submit a DS-160 to a U.S. consulate and complete an interview prior to being granted admission into the United States. 

An R-2 visa can be issued to the spouse and unmarried children of R-1 visa holders so they can accompany the R-1 visa holder during their stay in the U.S. To qualify for an R-2 visa, you must be married to an R-1 visa holder or be an unmarried child of an R-1 visa holder who is under the age of 21. Although R-2 visa holders have many of the same rights as the R-1 holder, they are not allowed to work in the U.S. and cannot stay in the U.S. longer than the R-1 holder.

What Are the Benefits of an R-1/R-2 Visa?

There are numerous benefits of obtaining an R-1/R-2 visa, including:

  • R-1 visa holders can remain in the United States for two consecutive 30-month terms.
  • R-1 visa holders can work for the petitioning church and travel anywhere in the U.S.
  • R-1 visa holders can apply for a green card after working as a religious worker for 2 years.
  • R-1 visa holders can change employers without leaving the United States.
  • R-2 visa holders can temporarily live in the United States with their spouse or

Our attorney has represented some of the largest religious denominations in the world and will gladly help you devise a strategy to pursue your immigration goals with confidence.

Contact us online or call (530) 418-0906 to discuss your immigration options. 


Why Choose Davis Legal Center  

I am the principal attorney at the Davis Legal Center, a boutique immigration law and consulting office in Northern California.  I have more than ten years of experience working on human rights and immigration law and policy matters across the globe.

  • Decade of Experience

    Our principal attorney has more than a decade of experience working in human rights, immigration, and international policy.

  • Religious Focus

    Davis Legal Center only works with churches and religious workers, so you benefit from our specialized expertise.

  • Global Representation
    Davis Legal Center has represented clients in more than 50 countries and has the experience to provide full legal representation no matter your location.
  • All Denominations

    Davis Legal Center is experienced working with all religious denominations and cross-denominational staff.

Contact Davis Legal Center 

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.